Applications are now being distributed for the Minneapolis STEP-UP Program for kids aged 14 to 21.
STEP-UP is a paid, summer jobs program for Minneapolis youth. STEP-UP for 14-15-year-olds, operated by the Minneapolis Employment and Training Program, teaches students good work habits and provides them with wages and an opportunity to contribute to a local community based organization.
STEP-UP for 16-21-year-olds, operated by Achieve!Minneapolis, provides youth with paid positions with local employers and teaches them the skills they need to succeed on the job.
STEP-UP for 14-15 year olds
A nine-week, paid summer jobs program for low-income Minneapolis youth.
· Work 30 hours a week from mid-June to mid-August.
· Earn $6 per hour at a job such as a landscaper, tutor, childcare
worker, computer intern, clerical assistant, peer educator, camp counselor or maintenance worker.
· Earn high school credit by attending C.L.A.S.S.
· Take part in a business mentoring program or spend a week, for
free, at a multi-cultural camp called Camp Sunrise.
· Learn new skills on the job.
· Provide valuable services at a local public or non-profit agency.
How to apply:
· The application deadline for STEP-UP for 14-15 year olds is Jan.
Download an application here:
Applications are also available at:
Achieve! Career and College Centers in the MPLS public high schools; The South Workforce Center at 777 E. Lake St.; or The North Workforce Center at 1200 Plymouth Ave. N.
Complete every section of the application and return it to:
Achieve! Career and College Centers in the Minneapolis public high schools;
The South Workforce Center at 777 E. Lake St.;
The North Workforce Center at 1200 Plymouth Ave. N.; OR mail it to: Attn: STEP-UP Program, Minnesota Department of Employment & Economic Development, 777 East Lake Street, Minneapolis, MN 55407
For more information call Xuong Tran at 612-673-6231 or Anne Fischer at 612-673-6221.
Step Up For 16-21 Year Olds
A six- to 10-week paid summer jobs program for Minneapolis youth.
· Work full-time or part-time (20-40 hours per week) from mid-June
· Earn $7 to more than $10 per hour in a field that interests you:
business, health care, creative arts and many other areas.
· Explore career interests and gain job skills in a professional
· Make future connections at top Minneapolis employers.
How to apply:
· The application deadline for STEP-UP for 16-21 year olds is Jan.
· Applications are available for download at:
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/metp/docs/stepup_app_16.pdf and at http://www.achieveminneapolis.org/programs/stepUp.html
· Visit an Achieve! Career & College Center in a Minneapolis public
high school to pick up an application.
· Call Achieve!Minneapolis to request an application by mail at
· Complete every section of the application and return it to an
Achieve! Career and College Center in a MPLS public high school, or mail it to: Achieve!Minneapolis/STEP-UP, 111 Third Avenue S. Suite 5, Minneapolis, MN 55401
For more information call or email Jennifer Petersen at Achieve!
Minneapolis at 612-455-1563.